Did you know: a large portion of our immune system is housed within our gut. The gut microbiome plays a pivotal role in determining when and how well our immune response operates.
While many people just head right for the Vitamin C to keep their immune system strong, we can make a big impact with some lifestyle changes that can improve our gut health. Check out these 9 tips!:
2. Eat a healthy diet. Consume mostly fresh, whole foods. Highly processed foods are broken down more easily into sugar, which can negatively impact your digestive health.
3. Try out eating smaller, more frequent meals to avoid overwhelming the GI tract.
4. Chew your food thoroughly – it can ease the digestive process.
5. Manage your stress levels. Too much stress can impact your gut health. Yoga, meditation, therapy or even journaling have been shown to reduce stress and anxiety.
6. Take or eat probiotics. Probiotics increase the amount of good bacteria in your gut. Yogurt, kefir, fresh sauerkraut and supplements are all good sources of probiotics.
7. Eat more fiber. Aim for 25 grams each day.
8. Drink plenty of water. We recommend half your bodyweight in ounces, but you can ease your way there.
9. Limit alcohol and caffeine. Both are digestive stimulants and can disrupt the digestive process.